Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cake. Glorious Cake.


[Source: The Knot]

Our first cake tasting is scheduled. We're meeting with the owner of The Baker's Studio, also named Chris, on Saturday morning. Our plan is to find the "perfect" baker to create eight small table cakes for our reception.

The Baker's Studio is a small bakery in downtown White River. They serve coffee and breakfast sandwiches each morning, and quiche, salads, and sandwiches in the afternoon. In addition, they run a full-scale bakery. Their cakes on display look tasty--perhaps too tasty for a dieting bride--and I'm sure their presentation on Saturday will be impressive.

Chris and I browsed through their portfolio a few months ago, as we noshed on breakfast bagel sandwiches, and they do fairly traditional decorations very well. Lovely lattice-work, nice swiss dots.

I considered, for only a few days, trying to DIY our desserts. Do-It-Yourself weddings have become very popular, I do enjoy baking, and I worked as a cake decorator for a few months. And then, with a little help from my friends, I snapped to my senses. Baking eight small cakes would be a tiresome and tedious process, and I'd rather leave it in the sugar-coated hands of a local artisan baker.

Christopher is excited: Free cake! I'm excited as well, but honestly I'm more eager to discuss cake pricing. Many bakeries in Philadelphia price their wedding cakes at $5-8 per slice (after delivery fees, cutting fees, etc), and it is not unheard of to charge $15 per slice. Isn't that insane? From my research, many bakeries in Vermont charge a relative pittance of $2/3 a slice.

It is a Win/Win situation. If we don't enjoy their cake or their prices? We schedule another cake tasting! Second on our list is the Heritage Deli and Bakery in Chester, Vermont.

No comments:

Post a Comment