Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Our Proposal Story

We became engaged on May 17th, 2008.
That Saturday was a particularly busy day for both of us.

(My favorite photo from the Surprise Engagement Party: He looks drunkenly frightened, and I look giddily confused.)

In the morning, Christopher graduated from the Center for Cartoon Studies (White River Junction, VT) earning a Master of Fine Arts degree.

The same morning, I finally graduated from Green Mountain College (Poultney, VT) earning a Bachelor of Arts in English, with grades 7-12 Teacher Certification. Christopher's sister Kimberly--my close friend and roommate--also graduated that morning from GMC.

After commencement, my father, mother, step-father and I drove across the state of Vermont to attend Christopher and Kimberly's graduation party. The party was held at their mother's residence in Springfield, VT. When we arrived, I was happily exhausted. On the porch his step-father, Don, was BBQing up some mean ribs.


***

I thought he asked, "Are you mad at me?"

Christopher was whispering and, well as many of you already know, Chris hardly ever whispers.

I was distracted by all of the people on his Mother's porch, and exhausted from my graduation and the two hour trip to Springfield, Vermont.

Chris and I were standing on the steps of the porch, able to watch the awkward mingling of our parents without having to participate.

I thought he asked, "Are you mad at me?" and I replied, 'What?"

I'm such a romantic.

Christopher asked again, this time with better enunciation, and I saw the box and his cheeky grin and nearly fell off the porch. I obviously said "yes."

In less than four hours, I received both my diploma and an engagement ring!

No comments:

Post a Comment