Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Color Conviction.

I am finally convinced. I fell in love with our colors.


(1. four-leaf clover / trevo de quatro folhas, 2. Ornaments of gold...dedicated to you ..., 3. Ethiopian Harrar, 4. Bear Creek Rose #7)

My Heritage
I had never considered the significance of a green and gold wedding for an Irish-American lass. As a small girl, I would proudly wear the green kilt my Grandmother kept in her closet. The kilt had a delicate golden thread woven throughout the skirt. We would visit my Grandparents on the weekend, spending our Saturday night watching Star Trek Next Generation with my PopPop and spending our Sunday morning at Mass. I'd proudly wear my kilt to Mass, and most Sundays I would listen to my Grandparents sing in their church choir.

My Grandma is a fierce alto, an identical twin, a mother of six, and a grandmother of eleven. I hope she will be personally delighted with my incorporation of Irish linen, classic hymns, green, and gold.

I thought I'd call "our" green "spring green." Now, I realize our actual choice is "clover." The lucky kind, to be specific.

Our Environmentalist Spirit
Christopher and I both attended an "Environmental Liberal Arts" College. We were fed a steady (sustainable) diet of environmental theory, literature, science, and philosophy. We both live in Vermont, although we were not born in Vermont. We chose to live here, to start and continue our new life together, here in this fine state.

Vermont strives to lead the environmentalist charge. I live exactly two blocks from a Co-Op, owned by our community members, selling locally grown organic produce and local meat. I live exactly half a mile from a community garden, and as I type I can peek at my seed packets. I'm waiting for the morning frost to end, the "mud season" to conclude, and the earth to warm again. I can't wait to plant. I know where my power comes from (1/2 from "cow power," or, as Chris likes to call it, "poop power"), we keep a mostly chemical-free household, and I did a DANCE when Steven Chu was announced as our new Energy Secretary.

We want to keep our wedding modest not only for the holiness of the day, or our small budget, but for our impact on our neighborhood and planet.

We don't want to be wasteful with tulle or plastic. We don't want to buy everything brandnew.

We want to re-purpose.

Deep browns remind me of our planet. Green signifies life. Sunshine is golden and ivory.
It's not just that I teach literature, and am a sucker for color symbolism. Love, love, love.

Simplicity
My first color scheme was scattered. Bless Kim (my MOH, Future Sister-in-law, and BFF) for not laughing in my face when I told her. She was endlessly supportive but, if I asked, I'm sure she would admit it sounded disharmonious.

I wanted Tiffany blue, burgundy, gold, and ivory. I only added in deep brown when I realized Kim's complexion would be washed out by a black BM dress.

My intentions were okay. I look wonderful in both Tiffany blue and burgundy. Both colors are found in our reception site. I thought gold-toned accessories would be easy to find and affordable. I thought ivory was appropriate for weddings.

Nature provides the perfect palettes. I believe our finalized color scheme is concise and balanced.

It's classic. Simple. Perfect. Like I said, I fell for my colors tonight.

When did you know you loved your colors? What could your colors symbolize?
---------------

Did I blog about our FANTASTIC DIY cakestands yet? I'll have to do that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment