Thursday, March 26, 2009

Calligraphy = Sanity

I'm an English teacher. I've mastered the skill of writing precise cursive on a whiteboard.

When I try to write on envelopes, however, I get all shaky from worry.

My mind begins to race: Is my envelope centered on my light box? Will my pencil guides erase completely? Is my lettering consistent? Do all of my "e"s look alike?

In other words, I get a bit weird. Weirder than normal.

I've hired a calligrapher for my own sanity. I'm not going to post her name; she is getting married next month and is buried in her own DIY projects.Above is the test sample she created for our stationary. It is curvy and classic, and I love the "chubby" ink.

I considered our budget, and decided I could devote $120 to all of our calligraphy expenses. We're inviting fifty guests, but we only need to create thirty-three invitations. I've also hired her services for our placecards.

Inner and outer envelope sets seem charming, don't they?
(Or is the belief that stationary can be "charming" or "cute" another symptom of bridal-craziness?)

I ordered A-7 Ecru unlined envelope sets from LCI Paper. I may make my own envelope liners to accent our invitations. The inner envelope measures 5 7/16 x 7 7/8, almost one whole inch larger than our A-7 5 x 7 invitations. This provides plenty of room for our invitations, rehearsal dinner invites, RSVP postcards, and our over-sized foldout Vermont maps. Stellar!

YES, our invitation supplies arrived! I'll post photographs and product reviews tomorrow.

Are you using both inner and outer envelopes? Was this choice made to honor tradition?

No comments:

Post a Comment