Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Dress Success!

I had the most positive dress shopping experience!

If anyone in the Vermont is getting married, I strongly suggest Christine's Bridal in Hartland Four Corners.

The owner, Chris, was my attendant and she was very warm. She and I chatted about our common interests and this set me at ease: she has a background in graphic design and animation, and we share a love of community theatre.


(pardon the cellphone photographs.)

Kim and Marsha had to wait in the room next to the fitting room, but we were close enough that we could occasionally laugh through the doorway as I was being laced. The gowns were not nearly as heavy as I thought they'd be, and the crinoline underdress I wore was both comfortable and not-too-foofy.

Lesson Learned: Always trust your saleslady.
I had gone shopping thinking I knew exactly what sort of gown I wanted. The dress shapes I thought I wanted were very unflattering. I thought I was anti-train, but the gown I selected has the most lovely chapel-length train. The gown I selected was a dress I would not have selected for myself.

(Good gracious: I have a waist! Who knew?)

The dress I found was nothing like I thought I wanted. Isn't that a common refrain? I thought I wanted a sweetheart neckline, or maybe cap sleeves, and no train.

I thought I needed an Alfred Angelo dress. NOPE.

I found "the one," the dress that made me feel the most lovely and the most statuesque. It is a dress from a local designer, and only sold at this boutique! It was the second dress I tried on, too. The attendant was very patient, helping me into several dresses only to hear Kim, Marsha, and I sigh together that the other dress was the nicest.

It does not need to be altered. It is the perfect length. It fits me perfectly, but I have enough space in the lacing that if I buff up a bit I can continue to cinch it in by four more inches. I'm so excited! Can you tell by my excessive use of exclamation marks?

AMEN. I went to one bridal salon, tried dresses off of the rack, found a bazillion plus-size options, and did not cry out of frustration.

Did you have similar "first shopping day" success?



No comments:

Post a Comment