Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spring is almost here.




(Pardon my webcam photography, but my digital camera died).

We're experiencing a typical March here in Vermont. I wore sandals on Saturday, enjoying sunny skies and a temperature of sixty degrees, only to wake up to five inches of snow on Monday morning. To help postpone the "winter will never end" blues, I've decided to post some florist updates.

I've been researching local florists, comparing prices and talent. There are many, many options.
It could be exhausting, but I think I've found our florist.

Morgan, owner of Valley Flower Company, simply rocks. Her work was recently featured in La Bella Bride magazine and New England Bride magazine, and you can view her gallery at her flickr account. She's working within our budget, has fresh floral (oh, pun) ideas, and Chris and I can support a talented, young local artist. You can view Morgan's blog here.

The photograph above shows a representation of my floral inspiration. We're* thinking of crisp colors: shades of cream, spring green, and chocolate brown. We're thinking lots of soft texture, and modern round shapes.

Soft, round, meticulous layers of petals.


I know we discussed soft, round flowers. I'm not a fan of very structural floral shapes, be they orchids, delphinium, tulips, celosia, or calla lilies. I do, however, find dahlias, ranunculus, zinnias, and chocolate cosmos simply lovely.

To help with costs, a lot of our flowers will serve double duty. Why would we use thoughtfully constructed arrangements just once? My bouquet will be placed into a vase for our reception. Our pew decorations will double as table arrangements. Our altar floral arrangement can be placed on the fireplace in the Hartness House. Ingenious!


*"We're" does not mean "Chris and I." It means, "my florist and I." LOL
Chris doesn't care about flowers, but he recognizes I do care. He does, however, think fiddleheads are cool for boutonnieres.

Question: Are you a "soft round" flower person, or an "structured" flower person? Are you in-between, or perhaps indifferent! I bet our opinions are as diverse as our options!

No comments:

Post a Comment